Published on February 3rd, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
All About Vitamin B’s
Thought vitamin B was only for energy? Think again!
The entire group of vitamin Bs are in fact key to keeping your skin and hair healthy. Vitamin B promotes improved skin functions, which include the replacement of dead cells with fresh new ones, as well as producing the natural oils that keeps your skin soft, supple and smooth.
While vitamin B is a water soluble vitamin, which means any excess of it flows out of your body via body fluids, it’s always advisable to take your doctor’s opinion before starting yourself on any pill-popping regimen. As much as you can, stick the natural sources of vitamin B found aplenty in nature.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): It prevents oxidation and neutralises free radicals, thus preventing premature aging. CONSUME: Brown rice, wheat germ, brewers yeast, oatmeal, soy beans, cashews
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): Is vital in the metabolic processes of the body which in turn renews all cells of the body – including the skin, keeping it young and revitalised. CONSUME: milk, eggs, enriched cereals/grains, meats, liver, green vegetables.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin): Is essential for cell metabolism and the absorption of carbohydrates. This not only gives you energy but also sloughs of dead skin cells and forms new ones. CONSUME: tuna, chicken, wheat germ, brown rice and broccoli.
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): Has anti-inflammatory properties, and accelerates lipid breakdown, thereby preventing the formation of acne. CONSUME: corn, eggs, cheese, meat, peanuts, broccoli and tomatoes.
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): Used to treat seborrhoeic dermatitis (common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas such as the scalp or inside the ear.) CONSUME: whole grains, bread, liver, cereals, spinach and bananas.
- Vitamin B7 (Biotin): A vitamin for hair growth or as a treatment for alopecia. Also called Vitamin H because of the health benefits biotin is thought to provide to skin, nails, and especially hair. CONSUME: cereals, fruits, vegetable, eggs and cheese
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid): Is essential for the formation maturation and multiplication of red blood cells (the pregnancy vitamin!). It is essential for the health of the skin and hair, and helps to prevent premature greying of the hair. CONSUME: asparagus, spinach, brussels sprouts, broccoli, liver and orange juice.
- Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin): Speeds up metabolism and boost energy levels; as well as cell renewal (skin). CONSUME: chicken, eggs, yogurt, milk and cereal.
Try a vitamin-B enriched face mask: Add 1tbsp brewer’s yeast to ½ cup yogurt, stir and refrigerate overnight. Mix in 1tbsp honey and then apply mask on in heavy layers and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and then splash on cold water for instant glow!
FAB BAG PICKS
Natural Bath & Body-Grapefruit & Vitamin C Face Wash: A deep cleansing vitamin C rich face wash made with grapefruit extract clears dirt and oil from the surface of the skin. The natural skin whitening properties of Grapefruit clarify the skin and gives it an even tone. Being completely free from Sulphates, the soft, rich and creamy texture of the foam makes this face wash particularly gentle for all skin types. CLICK HERE to view product
Natio Natural Vitamin E Moisturising Cream : Light, non-greasy favourite enriched with vitamin E and pure essential oils. Deeply hydrates, balances and softens. For all skin types. Plant extratcs: Jojoba to moisturise and soothe. Almond to nourish and soften. Vitamin E to soften and repair skin. CLICK HERE to view product
Votre Multi Vitamin Face Masque: Enriched with rich properties of botanical extracts & essential oils, this extra-ordinary face masque rejuvenates the skin & improves skin elasticity. It also removes pigmentation marks & blemishes & reduces skin ageing. The multi Vitamin masque make your skin healthy and glowing. CLICK HERE to view product