Published on February 6th, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
How To: Get That Right Lipstick
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe? If that’s the way you buy a “kind” of lipstick, you’re just doing it so wrong!
Your mom will tell you, beauty shelves today are loaded with too much to choose from. It was easy just a few years ago – the “lipstick” was just that, a stick to paint your lips with. But what goes onto your lips is not just a stick – try stains, glosses, pencils, or balms and so much more… Here’s some good-to-know products before you buy the entire bandwagon, or end up missing out on good stuff!
- Matte lipsticks: In stick or tablet form, matte lipsticks are opaque, long-lasting and have a more “lived-in” feel. They generally suit women with a large mouth or full lips. Tip: Coat lips with a lip balm to form a moist base since matte lipsticks are often dry in texture.
- Frost or Shimmer Lipsticks: In stick or tablet form, these suit rosebud lips or thin lips the best as they create a shimmery illusion of fullness. Tip: You can layer them over matte colours for more long-lasting colour.
- Liquid lipsticks: Liquid lipsticks are just that – lipsticks in a liquid form, often containing more of oil than wax to keep them in a liquid state. They have different types of applicators: some have a brush-like applicator, some a sponge tip, and a few have a jotter-type press applicator. Best for women who like to repair their make-up frequently. Tip: To stop them from bleeding, line lips with a lip-coloured liner beforehand.
- Lip glosses: These can be with colour or without – the idea is to add shine for a more youthful appeal. Particularly handy for day make-up, lip glosses also come paired with lipsticks (liquid or stick) for added colour build-up.
- Lip stains: These have quite a bit of pigment but barely any wax or oil, so as to have a deliberately uneven application for a bee-stung look. You have to get the look right to carry these; keep them for weekend day outs with him, or your friends. Looks good at a party too.
- Tinted Lip Balm: Very little pigment, and a lot of beeswax – the idea is to keep the lips moisturised with just a hint of colour.
- Lip Crayons/Pencils/Liners: These three products are often confused and even brands don’t define or name the products correctly. However, each has a specific function, depending on its textures.
- Crayon: Though they look like lip pencils, they’re silkier, more malleable and can be used instead of lipsticks.
- Pencil: They look like regular pencils, can be sharpened, allow greater definition in sculpting the lips and are versatile with both sheer and thick application. The tip of these pencils is less fragile than the crayons because of their higher wax content.
- Liner: The pigment here is thick, and checks bleeding of runnier colours. A lip liner could either be in pencil form, or as a retractable pen.
Fab lipsticks we love
Bellapierre Mineral Lipstick: Bellapierre Mineral Lipsticks have been formulated with natural waxes and mineral pigments, iron oxides and antioxidants such as Vitamin C and Vitamin E. Our smooth, silky, 100% natural and formula delivers long-lasting nourishing color. The mineral pigments also provide natural protection from the sun. Mineral Lipsticks do NOT contain lead, lanolin, parabens, or other harmful ingredients. CLICK HERE to view product
SUGAR Matte As Hell Crayon Lipstick-Scarlett O’Hara : The SUGAR matte lip crayon is a super long-lasting lipstick that’s highly pigmented so you don’t have to worry about constant re-application. This must-have crayon lipstick has a soft texture with a silky matte finish. Feeling confident & sexy? Flaunt a classic red pout with the Scarlett O’ Hara shade – that’s guaranteed to make heads turn. CLICK HERE to view product
Fran Wilson Moodmatcher Luxe Twist Stick : Define the perfect pout with hi-definition Twist Stick that instantly reacts with your lips to create a one-of-its-kind shade that perfectly suits your mood. Clinically proven with 12-hour staying power, they never smudge, feather or bleed. Get ready for gorgeous matte coverage that will take you from work to play, with the confidence that your lip colour will last all day. CLICK HERE to view product