Published on March 7th, 2017 | by Gayatri Dahiya
Broken Lipstick? Here’s how you can fix it
Left your favourite and rather expensive lipstick open in your bag? Here’s how to salvage the mess without buying a new tube, or bag!
It could, and probably has happened to the best of us – you have left your lipstick open in the bag, and eventually found a broken lipstick, a ruined (almost) bag, and a shattered heart! Fret not, for there is a way out of this situation, and it involves just a little care, and good welding abilities. We’re kidding about the last bit, but yes – get your notes out for this one.
Fixing the lipstick
- Step 1 – Lay out a clean towel or tissue as a base, and using a tissue or gloves, place the broken piece on it. (Keep the tube with the remaining base of the lipstick handy.)
- Step 2 – Using a lighter/match, lightly heat the bottom of the broken piece. Do so for not more than 15 seconds, or less depending upon the state, until it is slightly molten and ready to be moulded. Also heat the base in the tube. Be careful not to overheat either lest it melts too much.
- Step 3 – Carefully place the broken piece on the tube, and mould it onto the base remaining in the tube. Smooth using light finger movements till both parts are fixed.
- Step 4 – Using your fingers, or a clean toothpick, or a tissue, smooth the broken edges, and firmly fix the two pieces.
- Step 5 – Roll the lipstick in (obviously), and place in the fridge for 1-3 hours. The jury is still out on how long is long enough, but we’d say 2 hours should be enough.
Now, that you’ve salvaged the make up, let’s save the bag too?
Fixing the bag
- Remedy 1 – Fix greasy marks by applying a bit of lukewarm water and baking soda with a clean cloth. Gently wipe the marks, but do NOT rub. Let the bag air dry, away from sunlight and direct heat.
- Remedy 2 – Dust excess lipstick from the spots using a soft toothbrush, and dab baby powder on the stains. Let the powder stay on overnight, then lightly wipe off the powder with a clean rag and air dry the bag.
- Remedy 3 – Mix one part alcohol with two parts water, and using a cotton wool, apply this to the stains. Let the alcohol mixture soak a little, and wipe the stains with a clean cloth to reveal clean spots!
- Tip: If you’re dealing with suede, sequined, textured, or otherwise delicate materials on your bag—we think heading to the dry cleaners may be the best idea after all.
P.S.: Do let us know if this has worked for you; and any alternate suggestions you might have for this problem!
FAB BAG PICKS
City Color Be Matte Lipstick : Be Matte Lipstick is every girl’s must-have secret. Its rich formula is highly pigmented and enhanced with Vitamin E to nourish your lips and provide long-lasting color. CLICK HERE to view product
CAL Cosmetics Love Affair Matt Lipstick : The long wearing stay-true formulae glides on easily with a light weight creamy texture for rich colour impact that lasts, plus it won’t feather or bleed. CLICK HERE to view product