Published on March 17th, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
Hair Care Routine
BEFORE a hair wash
Oil: There’s plenty to choose from. From the good old coconut oil to grandma’s tale of mustard oil in the hair, from ayurvedic preparations to the more exotic olive, almond and jojoba… Here’s your essential oil guide:
- Coconut: Experts claim it is a fabulous conditioner.
- Amla: The age-old ayurvedic concept of amla, reetha and shikakai being manna for your hair may just be true.
- Almond: Full of protein, this oil is supposed to stimulate hair growth.
- Herbal: Ranging from olive to jojoba to rosemary to bhringraj, these oils claim to tackle all your hair problems.
- Specialised: Targeting hair loss, dandruff or stimulating hair growth – choose whichever addresses your concerns the best
Hair masks: Essentially, hair masks are deep-conditioning conditioners to be applied before shampoo. Most of these pre-wash conditioners work like oils, nourishing hair from the root. Sneaky trick: If out of hair mask, use your normal daily conditioner before shampooing. Apply it liberally over hair and scalp and wrap head in a hot towel for 15-20 minutes. Shampoo and skip the conditioner.
DURING a hair wash
Shampoo (and of course conditioner!): Walk down any haircare aisle in a department or beauty store and you’ll find racks groaning with shampoos and their conditioner counterparts. Choose a range that suits YOU, not your idol, friend or mother! From shampoo and conditioner sets that control dandruff, hair loss, protect black/coloured hair to gentle everyday shampoos to deeply nourishing ones, from shampoos that add shine to those which add volume… Whew! Endless.
AFTER a hair wash
Now comes the chaos. From styling gels to sprays, detanglers to leave-in, anti-frizz to high-gloss; choose your poison depending on your hair type and look, when in doubt, ask your stylist for recommendations! Here, we have divided hair products according to texture.
- Leave-in conditioners: Leave-in conditioners, applied post shampoo and conditioner, are available as creams and sprays to help hydrate and nourish hair.
- Anti-frizz products: These products act solely on curly or wavy hair silicone-based and are designed to smooth rough hair shafts.
- Styling products: Styling products are used more to create a look than to add to your hair’s health.
- Styling spray: For light hold, and used after setting your hair for shine and flyaway control
- Styling mousse: Mousse is much lighter than other styling products and doesn’t “crispen” hair the way gels do
- Styling gels: Choose according the ‘hold’ you want.
- Styling wax or pomades: Great for short, dry hair. Pomade is a wax-like substance that may feel greasy in the container and on the hands, but once worked into.
FAB BAG PICKS:
FAB BAG PICKS
VEDAEARTH ANTI-HAIR FALL HAIR OIL : “SOFT, SILKY AND AYURVEDA. Your hair is your friend. Treat it right. With this bottle that contains a whole bunch of ayurvedic wow, also many hair loving ingredients like Rosemary, Coriander, and Palma Rosa. It acts deep within the scalp to reduce hair fall. Phyto-nutrients in the oil fight dandruff, greying and split ends. Add a little ayurvedic care to increase overall hair health and make heads turn” CLICK HERE to view product
Charak Moha Herbal Shampoo : Trust moha: Herbal Shampoo to wash away the impurities and pollutants your hair is subjected to everyday. A revitalising mix of Amla, Aloe, Brahmi and Bhringraj, this shampoo reduces hair loss. Cooling your scalp, it stmulates growth from the follicles. CLICK HERE to view product
Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Mask : • Paraben free repairing mask that intensively restores and preserves the natural inner structure and strength of the hair. • With NuTREE complex enriched with natural tree extract, to provide up to 10x strength against breakage* for renewed hair vitality. • Captivating fragrance inspired by the green woods of the Amazon. The NuTREE complex targets the scalp and hair inside and out to ensure that both act and stay like renewed over time. CLICK HERE to view product