Published on April 3rd, 2017 | by Ahana Basu
While waxing can’t really be described as a pleasure, especially if there is cold, there are ways to make it easier while reaping the maximum benefits.
Get it right:
- Wax works: While the razor works in emergencies, the dreaded stubble makes its presence felt the very next day. Epilators and depilatory creams are options, but can be messy and time-consuming. Waxing is quick and softens the hair bulb, which means that after a few sessions, your hair growth is finer, easier to remove.
- By choice: Always choose a place you know to be hygienic. It’s enough that you’re having hot wax poured on you and your hair ripped out, you don’t need a skin disease on top of it. Make sure the wax strips used are clean. If the wax is too hot, don’t grit your teeth and bear it, ask the beautician to turn down the heat. While there are DIY wax strips available, a professional is a better option, especially for those hard-to-reach areas like the shoulders and underarms.
- Rub it in: A warm bath and a mild body scrub about an hour before waxing gets rid of dead skin and softens your hair follicles, making the exit easier. However, avoid exfoliating directly after waxing, though it may be tempting to get the stickiness off your skin. Your skin is tender after waxing and exfoliants may cause rashes and irritation. If you really need to scrub off, use a loofah instead.
- Waxing wardrobe: When going for a wax, try and wear loose, comfortable clothes that won’t stick to your skin. There’s nothing more uncomfortable than trying to pull on your favourite skinny jeans over just-waxed, still sticky legs. If possible, avoid synthetic fibres for a day after getting waxed and stick to cotton and other natural fibres.
- Moisture memo: There’s a reason the beautician puts powder on your skin before waxing and asks you if you’ve used any lotion or cream before coming to the salon. Excess moisture makes it difficult for the wax to grip the hair, making it more difficult to come off. Don’t use moisturiser directly after waxing either, especially if you have sensitive skin. Instead, apply ice or very cold water or, if you have enough of it, aloe vera gel. Soothe your skin before you apply any post-waxing product.
- Drink it in: A quick glass of wine or a strong cup of coffee might sound like a great idea before going for your waxing appointment, but go easy on the stimulants as they can make your skin extra sensitive. Instead, drink lots of water or fresh juices to keep your skin hydrated. Another effect of caffeine or alcohol consumption is acidity which is also said to make skin sensitive. So, keep your date at the bar for after waxing, when you’ve got gorgeous, smooth skin to show off!
FAB BAG PICKS
Spa Ceylon Aloe Vera & Pandanus Massage & Bath Oil : PITHA – A calming blend of essential oils & Ayurveda herbs, infused in vitamin rich Virgin Coconut oil, Nourishes, soothes & increase circulation, improving overall health. Promotes natural well-being & relaxation. Rejuvenates mind & body. CLICK HERE to view product
Natural Bath & Body After Bath Milk-Aloe Cucumber : Hydration and purity in a bottle – that’s our lush after bath milk for you. Crafted from a complex medley of vegetable oils and raw, untainted milk, it is infused with hydrating aloe vera and cooling, refreshing aloe vera. The crowning glory of your bathing ritual, our after bath milk wraps your skin in life-giving moisture, leaving it repaired, youthful and radiant. CLICK HERE to view product
Iba Halal Care Aloe Aqua Face and Body Gel : Iba Aloe Aqua Face and Body Gel – A multipurpose oil-free gel containing high concentration of pure Aloe Vera. Ideally suited to provide instant hydration, cooling, relief from dry, irritated skin and effective healing from sunburn, acne scars, blemishes, pimples and stretch marks. CLICK HERE to view product