Published on April 4th, 2017 | by Neharika Sabharwal
Beauty Ingredient: Amla
Amla’s USP is that it’s a superhero for any health and beauty rescue. The perfect example of nature providing the complete solution for hair care and skin care.
Remember that 1980’s old hair oil commercial jingle, “ghane mulayam kale baal… khile khile matwale baal”? The nostalgia of a simpler beauty era! Then cosmetics were packed with herbal goodness instead of savvy proteins and complex formulas. Not that we’re complaining of beauty evolution, we just sympathise with those natural fruits and berries that have now been shunned from the limelight. One such fruit is the Amla. Around for almost 500 years; the Amla, aka Amalaki or the Indian gooseberry has been the center of our Ayurveda therapy and has been known to cure anything from bad breath to respiratory disorders. When it comes to taste, it’s not really a typical fruit. Your taste buds aren’t likely to lust after it or jump for joy after biting into one.
One for Health
- You can drink all the orange juice you want, or swallow a ton of supplements, but nothing beats Amla as a potent source of Vitamin C. It’s also the easiest to assimilate by the body. Now,
- Vitamin C is an excellent anti-oxidant that fights free radicals responsible for ageing and cell degeneration. In simple jargon, Amla eventually gives you glowing skin and delays wrinkles or loosening of skin.
Use it, or lose it!
- If you’re not a big fan of Amla’s salty taste, use it in powder form for a facial treatment. Combine with water, aloe vera gel or olive oil to get a thick consistency. Apply for 15-20 minutes and rinse. It’s a great home remedy to take care of those blemishes and rejuvenate the skin.
- Boil a few pieces of Amla with ginger root in water. Strain the liquid and add a little honey for an herbal concoction that’s amazing for dry skin – just dip some cotton and swab all over. In addition, you can also soak the fruit in a cup of water overnight and wash your face with the solution to soak the benefits.
Rapunzel’s trade secret
- Rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins, this berry is a superfood for the hair and scalp. Eating it increases blood flow which stimulates hair growth, prevents hair loss, reduces breakage and prevents early graying. The antiseptic and astringent properties avert infections and tone the scalp. It is also known to enrich hair color. No wonder we feel amla was probably Rapunzel’s hair conditioner.
- For a deep treatment using amla, mix the powder form with warm water and stir till you have a thin paste. Massage this into your hair and leave it on for an hour for the nutrients to soak into your tresses and scalp. Finally wash and shampoo as usual. With prolonged use, your hair should become healthier with a more vibrant color.
- Applying small amounts of amla oil or boiling dry pieces of amla in coconut oil for a therapeutic massage will also protect, nourish and help add sheen to your tresses.
FAB BAG PICKS
Charak Moha Herbal Shampoo : Trust moha: Herbal Shampoo to wash away the impurities and pollutants your hair is subjected to everyday. A revitalising mix of Amla, Aloe, Brahmi and Bhringraj, this shampoo reduces hair loss. Cooling your scalp, it stmulates growth from the follicles. CLICK HERE to view product
The Nature’s Co. Rosemary Hibiscus Hair Mask : Acts as a natural conditioner; Gives shine; It stimulates hair follicles, prevents hair loss, premature graying & dandruff; Rosemary prevents thinning hair and hair loss. For Silky Shiny Hair. Amla is a natural conditioner, gives shine to hairs. It stimulates hair follicles, prevents hair loss, premature graying & dandruff. Rosemary prevents thinning hair and hair loss. It fights against premature graying and can gradually darken existing gray hair. CLICK HERE to view product
Kronokare Detox The Locks! Hair Conditioner : Our ginger detox works well without any conditions. Ginger will help you purify and detox, simple goodness on the rocks! These products are sure to clean from inside out, just what you need to head on out. So, indulge in the feel-good factor delivered to you using our pure essential oils, and get ready to grin and bare it! CLICK HERE to view product