Published on April 10th, 2017 | by Soma Priya
Multiple Use Ingredients
Over a hectic week, I always make a secret resolution to pamper my skin over the weekend. But on a weekend, sleep comes first and all resolutions fly out of the window! Plus half of the times I run out of one or the other ingredient required for a face pack. So here are some “one-stop shops” when it comes to beauty in your kitchen.
Banana: This tops my chart as it makes an excellent facial mask. Banana helps sooth the skin and also keeps the skin hydrated, simultaneously brightening dull skin. Mash a slightly over-ripe one and evenly apply all over the face and neck. Keep the mask for 15 minutes and wash off with warm water. Banana also helps to soften cracked and dry heels. Apply the ripened mashed banana over the cracked heels and after 15-20 minutes wash with warm water – moisturize thereafter.
- Strawberry: These sweet and sour explosions are not only meant for shakes but they also do mean business for yellow teeth. Rub a mashed strawberry on your teeth everyday for 5 minutes and see them getting white in a fortnight’s time. Do not forget to brush your teeth as their might be some pulp remaining between your teeth.
- Coconut Milk: For an instant glow, just grate one raw coconut and squeeze out its milk. Apply this milk all over the face. After a regular use your face will glow naturally and feel soft.
- Raw Milk: Raw milk acts as an excellent cleanser. It removes the dirt and excess oil from the face leaving it glowing and fresh due to its lactic acid content. Dip a cotton wool in raw milk and wipe your face with it. Wash off.
- Castor Oil: Castor oil brings good news for those on the anti-ageing bandwagon. Regular use of castor oil reduces fine lines. Apply castor oil on face and leave for about 10-15 minutes. Wash with cool water. You will see the fine lines getting reduced slowly but steadily!
- Honey: It’s like Pandora box, but full of only good things. It has healing and soothing properties, acts as a natural anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and is also a natural moisturizer. A dab of honey over broken acne helps in quick healing. You can also apply a thin layer of honey over your face and after 10 minutes wash with cool water. Your face will feel moisturized and supple.
- Potato: It helps in reducing the puffiness of the eyes. Slice a circular piece of potato and put it in the refrigerator to cool for a while. Put this over your eyes for 10 minutes and relax. You will see a marked difference in the puffiness. The juice of a raw potato also helps reduce blotchiness and patchiness from the facial skin. Grate a potato, squeeze out the juice and apply with a cotton ball – wash off after 10 minutes.
- Cranberry Juice: Pure cranberry juice has a similar effect over your hair as flat beer. It ensures your locks remain shiny and lustrous. Apply it as a post conditioner over damp hair. Let it stay as long as you can and then rinse thoroughly with normal water to get the sugar content out.
- Yoghurt: The lactic acid in yoghurt exfoliates dead cells and it also moisturizes skin making it supple and fresh.
- Asafetida: Asafetida or hing when mixed with water and applied on acne breakouts helps to reduce them. It also reduces acne scars.
How this works: Cocoa makes for a deeper, richer brown. Honey moisturises while acids in the yogurt (lactic) and vinegar (acetic) penetrate the hair shaft, allowing the cocoa’s pigment to sink in. Natural acids open the cellular doors to the pigmented molecules and make the results more pronounced.
Some organic products we love
SkinYoga Oats and Roses Face Wash : Rose petals are considered to be a natural toner and an excellent sunblock. Oats contain natural cleansers that remove dirt and oil from the pores without causing irritation. This vitamin C enriched combination with real rose petals will leave your skin feeling protected, clean and toned. CLICK HERE to view product
Just Herbs Af’fair Fumitory-Liquorice Skin Lightening Cream : A blend of exotic natural extracts of wonder herbs, this night cream helps to fade away dark patches and spots. Indian herbs Fumittory and Manjishtha help detoxify the blood and boost circulation to fade freckles and skin discolorations, while liquorice and yellow zedoary help control the melanin producing mechanism triggered by inflammatory response of the skin to exposure of suns UV rays. Vetiver roots promote skin regeneration and rejuvenate the sun damaged skin cells for a visibly fairer and radiant skin. CLICK HERE to view the product
Natural Bath & Body-Grapefruit & Vitamin C Face Wash : A deep cleansing vitamin C rich face wash made with grapefruit extract clears dirt and oil from the surface of the skin. The natural skin whitening properties of Grapefruit clarify the skin and gives it an even tone. Being completely free from Sulphates, the soft, rich and creamy texture of the foam makes this face wash particularly gentle for all skin types. CLICK HERE to view the product