Published on May 16th, 2017 | by Neharika Sabharwal
Get Preachy: Cracked Peds
Even that super expensive pair of Manolo Blahniks that you have spent a fortune on will look bad on your feet if your heels are cracked or dry! Pamper your peds to make them the one of the best-looking parts of you!
Cracked heels, besides looking utterly horrendous, can be extremely painful, and if neglected, can lead to serious infection. Ironically, though cracked feet are a common problem, knowledge about its causes is quite uncommon. Cracks in the heels are generally caused by insufficient moisture in the skin. The condition is agitated by factors like cold weather, dehydration, harsh soaps and sometimes even long hot baths. When the feet become too dry, fissures in the heel develop. Walking with cracked feet further causes them to split open, leading to bleeding and infection. Sounds painful? It sure is.
CTM, for the feet:
This mantra is not only for your face but your feet as well. Good hygiene is the first step for beautiful crack-free feet.
- Wash your feet daily with warm, soapy water which will helps soften the cracks. You can try adding ¼ cup of white vinegar to your soak as the mild acetic acid in vinegar helps soften dry skin. Remember not to use hot water because it will further dry out your feet. Also, limit your soaks to 10-15 minutes, 3 times a week.
- While washing, apply some liquid soap and remove the dead cells from your heels. You can use a wash cloth, pumice stone, an exfoliating scrub or a loofah. Make sure that you do this gently as vigorous scrubbing can lead to bleeding.
- Remember to moisturise thoroughly with a good foot cream or lotion.
- If you feel you need something more emollient, you can opt for a body lotion that contains urea. Urea is naturally present in skin cells, but in dry skin, urea levels are lower. Using a lotion that has urea increases the skin’s ability to hold in moisture.
- Petroleum Jelly is your best friend when treating cracked feet. It fills in those cracks and soothes inflamed skin and also acts as an effective barrier against the cold dry air. A great remedy is to apply your cracked heel cream, then layer on petroleum jelly and put on some cotton socks before going to bed. Your feet will thank you in the morning.
A little TLC
For an overnight treatment, you can rub some olive oil mixed with white vinegar or lemon juice over the feet, concentrating on the heels. Honey is a natural moisturiser so if you want, put some in your mixture. Put on cotton socks. In the morning, wash it off and then exfoliate with a foot file. Dry thoroughly and moisturise. Remember to let your feet absorb the moisture before you put on your footwear.
The right shoe:
Heels move around in shoes and boots that are too big, which causes friction. This will further result in dry calluses around the ridges and surface of the heels. Make sure your shoes are comfortable and properly sized so that heels don’t move but at the same time, toes have wiggle room.
FAB BAG PICKS
Votre Almond and Shea Butter Hand and Foot Scrub : Experience SPA like exfoliation with this rich scrub combine with walnut skin, almond & shea butter. Perfect combination of rich extract, leaves the skin rejuvenated &polished. (All skin types). CLICK HERE to view the product
SeaSoul Dead Sea Nourishing – Foot Treatment : This Nourishing Foot Treatment is a luxurious formulation with Dead Sea Minerals-Plant Stem Cellsprovides essential minerals to the skin and helps to heal cracked skin and leaves it silky-smooth and well moisturized. CLICK HERE to view the product
Sally Hansen 18 Hour Cracked Heel Creme : Intensive creme with aloe deeply replenishes skin to deliver 24 hours of moisture. Creates a protective barrier for dry, cracked feet. Soothing and protective Vitamin A, E, C, Grape Seed Oil and Shea Butter formula delivers fast relief, maximum moisture and incredibly soft skin for up to 18 hours. CLICK HERE to view the product