Published on May 30th, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
The search for that right red lipstick has been somewhat of a Holy Grail for me. Read on if you too feel the same!
Red lipstick can make you look sexy as a star, or downright disastrous if chosen wrong. There have been instances of even the most stylish celebs getting this one wrong using reds that are too poppy, too harsh or just too, well, tart-y! Here are some tips, and product recommendations for you to sizzle up that Sunday night date with a red that’s just right!
Skin Tone Correct:
- Fair Skin: Coral-y reds look great on you; they add a shot of colour but aren’t overpowering. Stick to shades that are orangey-red, brightness is good but don’t let the shade get too dark.
- Wheatish Skin: Anything from true fire-engine red to pink and cranberry shades will work well with your golden undertones.
- Dusky Skin: Stick with deep, rich colours like burgundy or warm brick, super-bright ones can seem too harsh (think Rekha’s maroon!).
Go right, with red!
- Red lips highlight any imperfections so make sure your lips are soft, smooth and without any cracks or chaps. Exfoliate `gently with a Vaseline coated toothbrush before applying colour.
- Block out your natural lip colour with foundation. This will help you get the truest tone out of your lipstick. Some make-up artists use a white eye pencil to totally cull out the true lip colour to really make those reds pop! Once primed, blot with a tissue to pick up any leftover foundation (or eye pencil), lest it dilutes the lipstick pigment.
- Start applying the red from the centre of your lips rather than from the edges and then blend outwards. This will curb any bleeds and allow you to gradually build-up colour without heavy layering.
- Once you get the right tone, blot your lips with a tissue paper and then add more lipstick, following the same pattern as above. This will enhance the staying power of the lipstick.
- Finally, for perfect lips, finish the application by tracing your natural lip line with a lip pencil that’s the same shade as your lipstick. This will create a border to help prevent bleeding and fading. For a softer look, after lining lips, use your finger to smudge inward; you’ll end up with a perfect, airbrushed effect.
- If you are a gloss addict, try and restrain yourself to a dab just in the middle of your lower lip. Red is already an attention grabbing colour, don’t overdo it. Party on, red riding hood!
Red lipsticks we recommend
SUGAR Matte As Hell Crayon Lipstick – 01 Scarlett O’Hara (Red) : If excellent coverage and high colour pay-off is what gets you going, you will absolutely love the Matte As Hell Crayon Lipstick from SUGAR Cosmetics. Available in 5 gorgeous shades to suit your taste & your ever-changing mood, the SUGAR matte lip crayon is a super long-lasting lipstick that’s highly pigmented so you don’t have to worry about constant re-application. This must-have crayon lipstick has a soft texture with a silky matte finish. Feeling confident & sexy? Flaunt a classic red pout with the Scarlett O’ Hara shade – that’s guaranteed to make heads turn. CLICK HERE to view product
Fran Wilson Moodmatcher Lipstick : Each shade changes according to your body chemistry for a truly personalized lip color. Experience the rich, natural moisturizing and super-long-lasting 12-hour powers of this color bomb that just wont wear off, even when eating, drinking or kissing! * 12-hour staying power* Moisture rich and revitalizing* Matt based sheen* CLICK HERE to view product
Flormar Revolution Lipstick : Created in 1950 in Milan, Flormar is now a part of the French cosmetics group, Yves Rocher. Available in 70 countries, it is the market leader in Turkey. Revolution is their premium lipstick containing shea butter, cocoa, olives, a super pigment and easy 8 hr staying power. CLICK HERE to view product