Published on June 13th, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
Myths Blasted: Cosmetic Surgery
Is cosmetic surgery all bad, or all good? Neither says our expert – blasting away a few common misconceptions!
India has seen a rapid increase in cosmetic surgery with more and more people engaging in common aesthetic procedures such as Botox, fillers, peels and laser therapy. Unfortunately, most people still have quite a few misconceptions about cosmetic surgery. Read below for 10 most common myths about cosmetic surgery and learn the real facts on this important topic!
10 common myths blasted
- Cosmetic Surgery is Plastic Surgery: Cosmetic surgery is the surgery of appearance and focuses on the aesthetic of beauty – it improves on the normal. Plastic surgery typically focuses on reconstruction and essentially just restores the normal.
- Only women are interested in Cosmetic Surgery: This is surprisingly not true. The top 5 most popular procedures that men get done are Botox, hair transplantation, laser hair removal, microdermabrasion and liposuction! And, according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, nearly 12% of all men are planning on undergoing cosmetic surgery in the future!
- Botox and Fillers work the same way: This is a common misperception. Botox relaxes the muscles that create the wrinkles by selectively paralyzing them. It is more effective for fine lines rather than for deep lines. Fillers work by filling in those prominent lines and wrinkles. Thick hyaluronic acid gets injected into the lines, and fills them up to make the skin smoother and youthful. Essentially, Botox relaxes while fillers fill…
- Botox makes you expressionless: Luckily this is false. There are 43 facial muscles and all operate together in a balanced way to create facial expressions. If you inject the right amount of Botox in only specific muscles, then you get a natural reduction of the lines and wrinkles without paralyzing the face. But, to get proper results, ensure you get this done by a well-trained physician.
- Botox is only useful for wrinkle reduction: This is false. Botox can be used to change your very appearance! Well-placed Botox, in conjunction with fillers, can make your eyes look bigger, your eyebrows more arched, your jawbone less prominent, and make many more such differences. It can effectively make you look more attractive without ever being used for the purpose of reducing wrinkles.
- Fillers are painful: With proper topical or regional anesthesia, the pain from fillers is quite minimal. A regional nerve block will work within 10 minutes and is more effective, while the topical agent is less effective and will take one to one and a half hours to achieve its full pain relief potential. Furthermore, you can treat the area with some ice cubes right before the procedure, and the pain reduces even more.
- Everyone can tell when you’ve had fillers:. Overall, anything done properly should look completely natural. If your doctor pays attention to the aesthetics of your face and customizes your fillers to suit your facial structure, fillers should not look obvious at all. When you see celebrities with that overdone look, it is often the celebrity who is asking the doctor to add more even when it is not necessary!
- Hyaluronic Acid fillers are irreversible: Actually, this procedure is entirely reversible. Your dermatologist can remove the filler easily through the use of an agent called hyaluronidase, which breaks up the hyaluronic acid. This will quickly get rid of the filler leaving no trace of it ever being there.
- Chemical Peels are painful and have side effects: Chemical peels usually consist of ingredients known as Alpha-Hydroxy Acids, which are entirely natural. They are derived from ingredients such as sugarcane and milk, and are quite effective for pigmentation, marks, scars and fine lines. In India, usually superficial peels are done and are rarely painful. People usually feel nothing, but a few may feel a slight tingling or stinging which quickly goes away. The only requirement after a peel is to wear sunblock and to stay away from using too many new products.
- Laser Hair Removal increased hair growth: False! Laser hair removal actually reduces your risk of ingrown hairs. Furthermore, it is the most effective treatment for permanent hair reduction, so it cannot cause more hair growth. If hair does grow after laser hair removal, it is lighter or finer than it was previously, making it look less visible than before.
FAB BAG PICKS
Just Herbs Af’fair Fumitory-Liquorice Skin Lightening Cream : A blend of exotic natural extracts of wonder herbs, this night cream helps to fade away dark patches and spots. Indian herbs Fumittory and Manjishtha help detoxify the blood and boost circulation to fade freckles and skin discolorations, while liquorice and yellow zedoary help control the melanin producing mechanism triggered by inflammatory response of the skin to exposure of suns UV rays. Vetiver roots promote skin regeneration and rejuvenate the sun damaged skin cells for a visibly fairer and radiant skin. CLICK HERE to view product
Votre Advance Gel Exfoliance : Advanced Gel Exfoliance is a unique formula that brightens up lack luster skin. This advance scrub is fortified with effective granules that gently exfoliate dead skin cells and blackheads while natural antioxidants help stimulate cell renewal, giving you soft and younger looking skin. CLICK HERE to view the product
Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser with Tamarind – Combination/Oily Skin : A refreshing, skin de-stressing cleansing foam. Gentle Tamarind Fruit Acids free pores of trapped make-up, excess oil, pollutants and dull-making dead cells for a refined, matte complexion. Silky lather rinses easily with cool water. Protects skin from the drying effects of hard water. CLICK HERE to view the product