Published on June 22nd, 2017 | by Neharika Sabharwal
Eat For Healthy Beauty – Salad
The old adage ‘you are what you eat’ holds true. What you eat affects how you look, both today and down the road – so for youth, eat some salads…
Lotions, potions, pots and brews are great but did you know what you eat will have a strong influence on the appearance of your skin? While genetics largely determine when your skin starts to show signs of aging, the extent of damage depends primarily on the lifestyle choices you make.
Getting into the biology of it, skin damage occurs as a result of oxidation, a chemical process in which unstable molecules called free radicals steal electrons from healthy cells. The most destructive oxidative stressors that we expose ourselves to are smoking and sunlight. Beautiful skin starts with nourishment from within. Eat fruits and vegetables to give your skin a steady supply of micro-nutrients essential to support this rapid growth. With summers knocking on the door, the best way to indulge your skin is to harvest your vegetable market for a DIY beauty treatment that involves, eating a salad. Try to get as much of these as possible:
- Vitamin C: It’s a super antioxidant found abundantly in fruits. Vitamin C plays an important role in maintaining healthy, resilient skin and allows blemishes to heal properly, so make sure you opt for it. The best sources are blackcurrants, blueberries, broccoli, guava, kiwi fruits, oranges, papaya, strawberries and sweet potatoes. They all help in the production of collagen that gives your skin elasticity. While at it, look out for foods enriched with Vitamin E which is known to protect skin from oxidative (cell) damage and support healthy skin growth.
- Go nuts: Including nuts in your salads will just double up the goodness. Nuts have selenium which works alongside other antioxidants such as vitamins E and C and is essential for the immune system. Studies suggest that a selenium-rich diet can help shield against skin cancer, sun damage and age spots.
- Water-water everywhere: Skin needs moisture to stay flexible. Even mild dehydration will cause your skin to look dry, tired and slightly grey. While you should drink at least six to eight glasses of water every day, you can also include watermelons, cucumbers and musk melons which apart from having a high water content, are refreshing and yum in the summer.
Super Simple Chicken Salad
- For the chicken: 1 carrot, 1 white onion, 1 celery, 1 whole (skinless) chicken, 1-1/2 tsp salt
- For the salad: 1/2 green bell pepper, white part removed and sliced fine, 1/2 red bell pepper, white part removed and sliced fine, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, white part removed and sliced fine, A bunch of salad leaves, chopped fine, 1/4 iceberg lettuce, 1 tomato, sliced
- For the dressing: 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 lemon juice, 1 Tbsp olive oil, A pinch of pepper
- Boil the chicken for a couple of minutes along with the carrot, onion, celery and salt. Let it simmer for about 1 1/12 hours.
- Scrape off the meat from the chicken. Use as much as you need and store the rest for the next-time salad. The “soup” can then be used as stock for curries and soups.
- In a bowl mix all veggies and salad leaves. Add to this shredded chicken.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients well.
- Pour the dressing over and toss to mix. Serve cold.
Peanut and Pineapple Salad
- For the salad: 1/2 cup peanuts, shelled, parboiled; 1/2 cup water chestnuts, boiled, peeled, halved; 1/2 cup cucumber peeled, chopped; 1/2 cup pineapple, peeled, chopped; 1/2 cup apple, chopped; 1/2 cup paneer, cubed; 1 cup roasted makhana
- For the dressing: 2tsp water, 1tsp lemon juice, 1 green chilly (chopped fine), coriander as to taste, some melon seeds, 1tsp olive oil, black pepper taste
- In a bowl, take peanuts, pineapple, apples, paneer, and cucumber. Mix it well. Set to chill.
- In a separate bowl – mix the dressing and then pour over salad. Toss to mix and finally add in the roasted makhanas.
FAB BAG PICKS
Naked Citrusy Tangerine Bath/Body Salt Scrub : Your jar of Naked organics has been especially handmade for you with lots of love. Salt is a wonderful aura & chakra cleanser, making this grounding Scrub the perfect way to wash off the day. Oils emulsify with the water on your body, leaving your skin perfectly moist. Naked is 100% natural. CLICK HERE to view product
Votre Almond and Shea Butter Hand and Foot Scrub : Experience SPA like exfoliation with this rich scrub combine with walnut skin, almond & shea butter. Perfect combination of rich extract, leaves the skin rejuvenated &polished. CLICK HERE to view product
The Nature’s Co Coffee Face Scrub : Exfoliates skin; Removes the upper, dead layer of skin; Anti-microbial & antioxidant; Gives a healthy and instant glow. Pamper the coffee lover in you with our invigorating Coffee Face Scrub. It is full of anti-microbial and antioxidant properties that sloughs dead skin, boosts circulation and imparts an instant radiant glow. Wet your face and neck, massage using light circular motions. Rinse off and pat skin dry. Can be used daily. Go ahead and get addicted! CLICK HERE to view the product