Published on June 22nd, 2017 | by Ahana Basu
Skincare Tips: Monsoon-Ready
I’ve always wanted to be a heroine in a Yash Chopra movie, so I could stand in pouring rain with perfect skin, or dance around in the Alps in a gorgeous chiffon sari and never break out into goosebumps. Unfortunately, I generally end up with damp skin that eventually leads to oiliness and hair like wet rat’s tails. So, until Yashraj Films hires me, here are a few tips to keep your skin going during the rains.
Keep it clean
- For dry skin, you can use almond paste or a honey cleanser. Take ten crushed almonds and make a paste and add two tsp of honey. Massage on face for 5 to 7 minutes, rinse face and pat dry.
- For oily skin, use a very mild cleanser to get of dead cells and grime. Ripe papaya pulp makes for a great, mild exfoliant. You can also make a scrub at home with ground oatmeal, a little salt and water or a teaspoon of olive oil. Apply it for 5-10 minutes and wash off with warm water.
- Toning is a must at night. During monsoon, a lot of airborne and waterborne microbes are let loose. So a good anti-bacterial toner will go a long way to prevent skin infections and eruptions. It is a good idea to get anti-bacterial face wash too.
- You need to mildly tone dry skin since the pore size is small. Use five drops of chamomile oil in a one tsp milk to tone dry skin and ten drops of lavender oil in one tsp water for oily skin.
- Moisturising in the rains is as important as it is in summer. Monsoons can leave skin dry and lifeless and yet has the irritating effect of making oily skin more oily. Use one tsp pf honey, one of fresh curd and one of jojoba oil. Mix together and apply on your face and neck. Leave it on for 10 mins and then wash off with plenty of water. This is for those with dry or itchy skin.
- For oily and combination skin, mix two tsp rose water to two drops of strawberry oil and fresh orange oil. Mix and apply on face and neck for 10 minutes and wash off.
- Moisturise twice in a day with a light-weight moisturiser and make sure to apply a gel-based with an SPF 15 or more, before going out in the sun.
Apart from these, it is also important to eat right. Include lots of vitamin E and Omega 3 in your diet. These nutrients are rich in oils and will keep your skin nourished. It is also a good idea to take vitamin C during the monsoons to boost resistance against diseases. Avoid wearing heavy make-up and opt for sweat-proof or water-proof products.
With all this taken care of, don’t forget your chiffon sari and rain dances!
FAB BAG PICKS
BioBloom Natural Skin Toner : Our Skin Toner soothes irritation and removes pore clogging debris from skin’s surface. It nourishes dull skin as a natural mild astringent and helps in removing excess Oil & nourishes and hydrates the skin. Lastly, it lightens age spots and acne marks & rejuvenates and refreshes your skin. FREE from all harmful chemicals like PARABENS, SULPHATES, PETROCHEMICALS etc. CLICK HERE to view the product
The Nature’s Co Coffee Face Scrub : Exfoliates skin; Removes the upper, dead layer of skin; Anti-microbial & antioxidant; Gives a healthy and instant glow. Pamper the coffee lover in you with our invigorating Coffee Face Scrub. It is full of anti-microbial and antioxidant properties that sloughs dead skin, boosts circulation and imparts an instant radiant glow. CLICK HERE to view product
Votre White Essence Brightening Day Moisturiser SPF 35 PA ++ : White Essence “Brightening Day moisturizer is a lightweight moisturizer ; minimize the visible appearance of dark spots, discolorations and improve skin radiance providing a fair complexion. Natural form of Vitamin C helps promote collagen synthesis and help inhibit melanin production for a skin lightening effect. SPF35 protects from the harmful effect of UV A & B ray. CLICK HERE to view the product