Published on July 20th, 2017 | by Gayatri Dahiya
Don’t Lose Hope!
Left your favourite and rather expensive lipstick open in your bag? Here’s how to salvage the mess without buying a new tube, or bag!
It could, and probably has happened to the best of us – you have left your lipstick open in the bag, and eventually found a broken lipstick, a ruined (almost) bag, and a shattered heart! Fret not, for there is a way out of this situation, and it involves just a little care, and good welding abilities. We’re kidding about the last bit, but yes – get your notes out for this one.
Fixing the lipstick
- Step 1 – Lay out a clean towel or tissue as a base, and using a tissue or gloves, place the broken piece on it. (Keep the tube with the remaining base of the lipstick handy.)
- Step 2 – Using a lighter/match, lightly heat the bottom of the broken piece. Do so for not more than 15 seconds, or less depending upon the state, until it is slightly molten and ready to be moulded. Also heat the base in the tube. Be careful not to overheat either lest it melts too much.
- Step 3 – Carefully place the broken piece on the tube, and mould it onto the base remaining in the tube. Smooth using light finger movements till both parts are fixed.
- Step 4 – Using your fingers, or a clean toothpick, or a tissue, smooth the broken edges, and firmly fix the two pieces.
- Step 5 – Roll the lipstick in (obviously), and place in the fridge for 1-3 hours. The jury is still out on how long is long enough, but we’d say 2 hours should be enough.
Now, that you’ve salvaged the make up, let’s save the bag too?
Fixing the bag
- Remedy 1 – Fix greasy marks by applying a bit of lukewarm water and baking soda with a clean cloth. Gently wipe the marks, but do NOT rub. Let the bag air dry, away from sunlight and direct heat.
- Remedy 2 – Dust excess lipstick from the spots using a soft toothbrush, and dab baby powder on the stains. Let the powder stay on overnight, then lightly wipe off the powder with a clean rag and air dry the bag.
- Remedy 3 – Mix one part alcohol with two parts water, and using a cotton wool, apply this to the stains. Let the alcohol mixture soak a little, and wipe the stains with a clean cloth to reveal clean spots!
- Tip: If you’re dealing with suede, sequined, textured, or otherwise delicate materials on your bag—we think heading to the dry cleaners may be the best idea after all.
P.S.: Do let us know if this has worked for you; and any alternate suggestions you might have for this problem!
Some lipsticks we love:
SUGAR It’s A-Pout Time! Vivid Lipstick : If you’ve been crushing over classic matte lips – the hottest lip trend on the runway – you’ll totally adore SUGAR It’s A-Pout Time! Vivid Lipstick. Creamy and moisturising, this lipstick combines the look of a classic matte lip with the benefit of incredible comfort. Enriched with micronized pigments and silica micro-beads, this matte lipstick glides on easily and settles to a gorgeous matte finish. CLICK HERE to view the product
Fran Wilson Moodpearl Lipstick : Each luscious, shimmering shade changes according to your body chemistry for a truly personalized and pearlized lip color. The gorgeous sheen of colour with it’s natural moisturizing and 12-hour long-lasting powers take you from day to night and won’t wear off, even when eating, drinking or kissing! CLICK HERE to view the product
SUGAR Smudge Me Not Liquid Lipstick : If you’ve ever lusted for a “one-coat wonder” product for your lips, your search ends here. Get a full-blooded burst of pigment with just a single swipe of the SUGAR Smudge Me Not Liquid Lipstick that will stay the day and right up till the night! Wine, coffee & date-proof – this is a matte lipstick that is guaranteed to last longer that your longest day. Available in 10 stunning shades that will make it difficult to choose – the question is, are you ready to commit to a lipstick that is built to last? CLICK HERE to view the product