Published on July 28th, 2017 | by Ahana Basu
Monsoon Skin Routine
If you’re inspired by Frank Sinatra’s singing in the rain, you know also know that damp skin can ruin many a complexion! Fear not, for here’s some skincare 101 for you to combat the rains.
I’ve always wanted to be a heroine in a Yash Chopra movie, so I could stand in pouring rain with perfect skin, or dance around in the Alps in a gorgeous chiffon sari and never break out into goosebumps. Unfortunately, I generally end up with damp skin that eventually leads to oiliness and hair like wet rat’s tails. So, until Yashraj Films hires me, here are a few tips to keep your skin going during the rains.
Keep it clean
- For dry skin, you can use almond paste or a honey cleanser. Take ten crushed almonds and make a paste and add two tsp of honey. Massage on face for 5 to 7 minutes, rinse face and pat dry.
- For oily skin, use a very mild cleanser to get of dead cells and grime. Ripe papaya pulp makes for a great, mild exfoliant. You can also make a scrub at home with ground oatmeal, a little salt and water or a teaspoon of olive oil. Apply it for 5-10 minutes and wash off with warm water.
- Toning is a must at night. During monsoon, a lot of airborne and waterborne microbes are let loose. So a good anti-bacterial toner will go a long way to prevent skin infections and eruptions. It is a good idea to get anti-bacterial face wash too.
- You need to mildly tone dry skin since the pore size is small. Use five drops of chamomile oil in a one tsp milk to tone dry skin and ten drops of lavender oil in one tsp water for oily skin.
- Moisturising in the rains is as important as it is in summer. Monsoons can leave skin dry and lifeless and yet has the irritating effect of making oily skin more oily. Use one tsp pf honey, one of fresh curd and one of jojoba oil. Mix together and apply on your face and neck. Leave it on for 10 mins and then wash off with plenty of water. This is for those with dry or itchy skin.
- For oily and combination skin, mix two tsp rose water to two drops of strawberry oil and fresh orange oil. Mix and apply on face and neck for 10 minutes and wash off.
- Moisturise twice in a day with a light-weight moisturiser and make sure to apply a gel-based with an SPF 15 or more, before going out in the sun.
Apart from these, it is also important to eat right. Include lots of vitamin E and Omega 3 in your diet. These nutrients are rich in oils and will keep your skin nourished. It is also a good idea to take vitamin C during the monsoons to boost resistance against diseases. Avoid wearing heavy make-up and opt for sweat-proof or water-proof products.
With all this taken care of, don’t forget your chiffon sari and rain dances!
FAB BAG PICKS
SeaSoul Hydra Mineral Cream Cleanser : A lightweight, hydrating & soothing cleanser contains Squalane-nourishes & infuses Omega 3 into the Skin. Dead Sea Algae-minimizes pores, detoxifies & brightens the skin. Grapefruit-remove makeup, daily residue and excess oil leaving skin fresh, hydrated & revitalized. CLICK HERE to view the product
Just Herbs Kumuda-Sacred Lotus- Green Tea Skin Recovery Toner (All Skin Types) : This gentle alcohol-free toning formula is loaded with the anti-oxidant benefits of sacred Indian lotus flower and green tea infused with steam distilled floral waters of rose and holy basil ( tulsi). Expertly formulated to suit all skin types, this toner helps to loosen skin pores to remove make-up reside, dust and debris while conditioning and soothing the skin for other treatment products. Indian senna extract impacrts this product anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties. Just Herbs toners are free from alcohol making them gentle to use without stripping the skin off its natural oils. CLICK HERE to view the product
Kaya Daily Moisturising Sunscreen Spf-30 : UV-A MV-B Protection
Daily Moistursing Sunscreen with SPF 30 not only protects your skin from harmful UV-A and UV-B rays but also helps maintain essential hydration and nourishment for long. With Ultra Bootstar rating of 5, It offers the highest possible UV-A protection against tanning and ageing due to Sun exposure. CLICK HERE to view the product