Published on August 7th, 2017 | by Gayatri Dahiya
Get Rid Of Hairfall
Seasonal hair fall is a common occurrence, and is often noticed around the end of summer and winter. While it’s normal to lose about 50-100 strands of hair a day, hair loss could increase three-fold around the turn of the seasons. Don’t tear your remaining hair out in worry! This is perfectly normal and curable with some simple steps. Hair works on a life cycle—for new hair to grow, the old, dead hair needs to fall out. But if you’re experiencing more shedding than necessary you could take some steps to reverse that pattern.
You’d think there’d be one time of the year when you need not worry about losing your precious hair; but Mother Nature ensures the shedding process continues all through. To fight it, you need to understand how it’s caused:
- Summer: Extreme heat causes dry hair, and in turn split ends and brittleness; additionally, sweating causes fungal infections and dandruff, and all of this contributes to hair loss. Summer is also a time for expedited hair growth, which means that more hair would shed 3-4 months post this growth phase.
- Monsoons: If your hair survives the harsh summer, it has the rain to contend with—rain water is polluted and when absorbed by the scalp, causes hair fall. And for most Indian women, the sticky weather causes trapped moisture that further weakens the hair follicles.
- Autumn: ‘No, I didn’t get a haircut! It’s fall and I’m shedding!’ The advent of autumn causes much more than just the shedding of the leaves. Most women report hair loss in autumn, owing to the factors that have been in play over the course of the summer and the monsoons. So, if you experience more hair loss in the coming few months, you know you’ve got the previous few months to blame!
- Winter: Winters cause extreme dryness of the scalp and hair, and much like summers, cause split ends, dandruff, weak hair, and ultimately—more hair loss.
- Oil ‘em up: It’s imperative to oil your hair at least twice a week. Massage warm coconut oil, leave overnight, and wash it off the next day with a mild shampoo.
- Go easy on the shampoo suds: It’s great to want squeaky clean hair, but not at the cost of hair loss! Use a mild shampoo that’s lower in sulphates, or even better, create your own shampoo at home using a blend of reetha, amla, and shikakai. Just follow grandma’s directions!
- Trim the hair, don’t fry it: Trim your hair every 4-6 weeks. Also hair ironing, perming; hair colouring or hair styling should be avoided, or at least kept to a minimum, and use minimal hair products.
- Henna + Curd=Less Hair Loss: Use a hair pack of henna and curd to keep your hair nourished. Henna is very good for strengthening the roots of your hair, and curd adds extra nourishment.
- Cover it up and plait it: Put on a pretty scarf or a snazzy hat to protect your hair. More so, if you are leaving home instantly after washing your hair. Plait or tie your hair before you go to bed or before stepping out of the house.
A friend with a gorgeous mane suggests the following wonder cure for hair loss: soak full (not crushed) fenugreek (methi) seeds in your bottle of hair oil, and leave in the sun for a day. Use normally then, twice a week for 3-4 weeks and notice hair loss reduction by up to 70%!
FAB BAG PICKS
Roots Anti-Bacteria All-Purpose Brush : The Roots anti-bacterial all-purpose brush does not allow bacteria to thrive on it, keeping your hair clean and fresh after every stroke. Unlike other brushes, Roots anti-bacterial All-Purpose brush does not transfer any form of bacteria on to your hair or vice versa. Its bristle-tips are softened and rounded so as to massage your scalp stimulating the natural hair oils and also prevents scraping the hair cuticles. This hygienic brush comes in the latest ‘tortoise shell’ design that makes it stand out and look chic. Available in 3 types-Cushion, Round and All-purpose. CLICK HERE to view the product
RUSK Being Undressed Gloss : The ultimate cross-dresser, this versatile hair styling product is a pomade, a wax and a conditioning treatment all in one that leaves hair feeling miraculously product free. Add incredible shine and texture, while giving hair humidity-resistant hold and UV protection, with RUSK Being Undressed’ Gloss. Adds shine and texture while providing humidity-resistant hold and UV protection. Leaves hair feeling like there’s nothing on it! CLICK HERE to view the product
Sebastian Volupt Conditioner : Boost your volume without weighing down your hair with the Sebastian Professional Volupt Conditioner (250ml). Unlike other volume enhancing hair care ranges, Volupt leaves hair feeling up to 45% softer without compromising on body. The rich conditioner smoothes down frizz and flyaways, whilst providing maximum volume for a sleek yet naturally thicker, bigger look. CLICK HERE to view the product