Published on August 16th, 2017 | by Ahana Basu
Say No To Blackheads
A complexion as fresh as a strawberry might be a compliment, but a ‘strawberry nose’ is certainly a bane!
The term refers to the blackheads (and whiteheads) that dot the nose, giving it the appearance of having sprouted strawberry pips. Blackheads are basically the result of blocked pores. Those with oily skin generally have large pores since their sebaceous glands are more active. Dirt, dust etc block our pores which means the oil can’t be released from the skin, thus it oxidises and darkens. Blackheads often begin as whiteheads and are basically non-inflamed pimples which is why it’s important to get rid of them, or better still prevent them.
- Blackheads don’t pop up overnight, but they do have a way of glaring out at you just when you need to look your best. So, if you’ve just taken a look in the mirror before a great party and screamed like those girls in the Clean n Clear ads, here are a few shortcuts to smoothen out the nose.
- Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice with half a teaspoon of sugar and use as a scrub. Leave on for ten minutes, and then wash off with warm water. Lemon works as an astringent and whitener as well, so that’s triple benefit for your skin.
- Use a mild scrub on your face and then use the strip. Peel off after 10 minutes. However, these strips don’t work on deep-rooted blackheads. Never use them on broken or sensitive skin.
- Clay masks are a good way to polish up your skin. Masks unclog pores and clear the skin. You’ll be glowing in 15-20 minutes and your nose will be noticeably smoother.
- Getting rid of blackheads on the nose permanently is tough, if not impossible. However, if treated regularly, there are ways to polish them off.
- An interesting face pack I heard of recently is khuskhus soaked in milk overnight. If you’ve got a propensity for blackheads, keep this pack handy. Apply the khus khus to a cleansed face the next morning, rubbing in circular motions. Leave on for 5-10 minutes and wash off. Do this 2-3 times a week.
- Tomato and potato juice are said to work wonders on blackheads. You can even place slices of raw tomato on your nose, then use a scrub.
- Steaming your face once or twice a week is probably the best and most effective remedy for blackheads and well worth the time it takes. If you don’t have a steamer at home, you needn’t rush off to the parlour. Just use an ordinary bowl of boiling water. Place a towel over your head and let the steam on your face. This unclogs pores and softens blackheads. Then, use a mild scrub, rubbing a little harder on the nose and chin areas.
FAB BAG PICKS
ZIRH Clean – Alpha- Hydroxy Face Wash : Good For: Normal to Oily Skin, Acne. Cleanse. Invigorating face wash with Alpha Hydroxy and Beta Hydroxy Acids that work to remove dirt, excess oil and dead skin cells. Has a fresh, light lemon scent that leaves your face feeling and looking fresh and clean. Use with a sunscreen containing UVA and UVB protection to prevent photo-aging. CLICK HERE to view the product
Sisley Black Rose Cream Mask : The Black Rose Cream Mask offers the skin “instant youth” Rich in active anti-aging ingredients including Black Rose, Padina Pavonica, and Alkekengi Calyx extracts, it immediately gets to work on signs of aging and fatigue to rejuvenate skin and restore vitality. In only 15 minutes skin is visibly hydrated, plumped, smoothed and redensified. With a delicious rose fragrance and soft, creamy texture, this mask provides a true moment of pleasure and relaxation. The face appears refreshed and the complexion recovers its luminosity. CLICK HERE to view the product
SeaSoul Hydra Mineral Cream Cleanser : A lightweight, hydrating & soothing cleanser contains Squalane-nourishes & infuses Omega 3 into the Skin. Dead Sea Algae-minimizes pores, detoxifies & brightens the skin. Grapefruit-remove makeup, daily residue and excess oil leaving skin fresh, hydrated & revitalized. CLICK HERE to view the product
In all, keep your face clean, pay attention to your nose and remember, squeezing isn’t going to help