Published on August 21st, 2017 | by Neharika Sabharwal
Good Food Good Skin
Lotions, potions, pots and brews are great but did you know what you eat will have a strong influence on the appearance of your skin? While genetics largely determine when your skin starts to show signs of aging, the extent of damage depends primarily on the lifestyle choices you make.
Getting into the biology of it, skin damage occurs as a result of oxidation, a chemical process in which unstable molecules called free radicals steal electrons from healthy cells. The most destructive oxidative stressors that we expose ourselves to are smoking and sunlight. Beautiful skin starts with nourishment from within. Eat fruits and vegetables to give your skin a steady supply of micro-nutrients essential to support this rapid growth. With summers knocking on the door, the best way to indulge your skin is to harvest your vegetable market for a DIY beauty treatment that involves, eating a salad. Try to get as much of these as possible:
- Vitamin C: It’s a super antioxidant found abundantly in fruits. Vitamin C plays an important role in maintaining healthy, resilient skin and allows blemishes to heal properly, so make sure you opt for it. The best sources are blackcurrants, blueberries, broccoli, guava, kiwi fruits, oranges, papaya, strawberries and sweet potatoes. They all help in the production of collagen that gives your skin elasticity. While at it, look out for foods enriched with Vitamin E which is known to protect skin from oxidative (cell) damage and support healthy skin growth.
- Go nuts: Including nuts in your salads will just double up the goodness. Nuts have selenium which works alongside other antioxidants such as vitamins E and C and is essential for the immune system. Studies suggest that a selenium-rich diet can help shield against skin cancer, sun damage and age spots.
- Water-water everywhere: Skin needs moisture to stay flexible. Even mild dehydration will cause your skin to look dry, tired and slightly grey. While you should drink at least six to eight glasses of water every day, you can also include watermelons, cucumbers and musk melons which apart from having a high water content, are refreshing and yum in the summer.
Super Simple Chicken Salad
- For the chicken: 1 carrot, 1 white onion, 1 celery, 1 whole (skinless) chicken, 1-1/2 tsp salt
- For the salad: 1/2 green bell pepper, white part removed and sliced fine, 1/2 red bell pepper, white part removed and sliced fine, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, white part removed and sliced fine, A bunch of salad leaves, chopped fine, 1/4 iceberg lettuce, 1 tomato, sliced
- For the dressing: 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 lemon juice, 1 Tbsp olive oil, A pinch of pepper
- Boil the chicken for a couple of minutes along with the carrot, onion, celery and salt. Let it simmer for about 1 1/12 hours.
- Scrape off the meat from the chicken. Use as much as you need and store the rest for the next-time salad. The “soup” can then be used as stock for curries and soups.
- In a bowl mix all veggies and salad leaves. Add to this shredded chicken.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients well.
- Pour the dressing over and toss to mix. Serve cold.
Peanut and Pineapple Salad
- For the salad: 1/2 cup peanuts, shelled, parboiled; 1/2 cup water chestnuts, boiled, peeled, halved; 1/2 cup cucumber peeled, chopped; 1/2 cup pineapple, peeled, chopped; 1/2 cup apple, chopped; 1/2 cup paneer, cubed; 1 cup roasted makhana
- For the dressing: 2tsp water, 1tsp lemon juice, 1 green chilly (chopped fine), coriander as to taste, some melon seeds, 1tsp olive oil, black pepper taste
- In a bowl, take peanuts, pineapple, apples, paneer, and cucumber. Mix it well. Set to chill.
- In a separate bowl – mix the dressing and then pour over salad. Toss to mix and finally add in the roasted makhanas.
Your skin needs food too, here are beauty products we recommend
FAB BAG PICKS
Votre Botanical Day Gel Creme with SPF 35 PA ++ Mineral Enriched : Our natural and highly botanical version of a classic moisture Gel creme! This antioxidant rich AM Moisturizer is formulated to immediately equalize the skins natural barrier and fortify its ability to hold moisture. The infusion of fruit and botanical extracts refine skin tone and provide a protective barrier to retain skins natural moisture. CLICK HERE to view the product
Ayorma Sun Block SPF 40 : Skin irritations are soothed with AYORMA’s Sun Block Cream SPF 40 that penetrates deep into your sun-sensitive skin to optimize your skin’s defense mechanism against environmental irritants especially against the harmful UVB and UVA rays. It is also immediately absorbed into your skincells to minimize imperfections, reduce melanin production and give you a flawless even complexion. CLICK HERE to view the product
Just Herbs Pomegranate Mandarin Pore Refining Tonique (Enlarged Pores) : This alcohol-free formula is ideal for oily/combination skin types with visible pores. A nourishing blend of the steam distilled waters of mandarin-traditionally used in Ayurveda for a variety of skin benefits- and Pomogrnate extract-a natural astringent that helps loosen and minimize the appearance of skin pores. Orange peel and bitter orange essential oil impart ant-microbial properties to this product and help acne-prone skin guard against infections from pollutants, dust and grime. Just Herbs toners are free from alcohol making them gentle to use without stripping the skin off its natural oils. CLICK HERE to view the product