Published on August 28th, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
The humble oats are a powerhouse of nutrients. Read on to know why:
Bored of your morning oatmeal? Try applying it instead of eating it for a face that glows from the inside out! Oats do make for one of the healthiest possible breakfasts! But the day you want to indulge your taste buds with say the goodness of eggs instead, try adding those oats to your ‘beauty’ menu!
Oats, for beauty?
Don’t get me wrong, eating oats is a very healthy thing to do – from being perfectly balanced carbohydrates to reducing cholesterol – oats have many health benefits. But how does applying them benefit skin?
- Oat protein is an excellent skin protector and moisturiser.
- Complex beta-glucan provides moisturising and immune-stimulant properties.
- The saponins (cleansing agents) in oats also soak up the excess sebum (oil) from your skin thus giving you a clean, matte fresh face.
- The colloidal properties of oats make it an excellent exfoliating agent – scraping off dead cells without harming the fresh skin underneath.
- Avenanthramides, the anti-oxidants found in oats, have excellent anti-inflammatory and redness-reducing properties.
- Oats also have UV-absorbers (phenolics) that protect the skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun!
Need more reason to pat on oats on your face and body? They are super easy to use and barely need any preparation time… A quick mix in a bowl and you’re good to go!
- Oat Scrub: Mix oats with a little rose water (for oily/combination skin) or milk (for dry/pigmented skin) and give your face and body a good scrubbing. Your skin will feel softer, free of build up, look glowing and noticeably ‘matte’ in appearance.
- Oat Mask: Mix oats with honey (for a moisturising mask), rosewater and turmeric (for oily skin), yogurt (for normal skin), milk (for dry and tanned skin) or cream (for really dry skin) and apply the paste onto your face and neck. Let it dry (15-20 minutes) and then gently wetting your face, rub off the mask for a glowing visage.
- Oat Bath: If you do have the luxury of a tub then spoil yourself silly – grind up oats and rose petals (from your garden as opposed to the florist) in a mixer. Now to warm (but not hot, lest the oats cook) bath water, add this paste and 500ml of milk. Soak in the goodness for skin that’s renewed and refreshed.
- Oats Hair Mask: Whip up an overripe banana, some oatmeal, olive or almond oil and milk and you have a great hair mask. Simply apply to detangled hair from root to tip and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with cool water, shampoo, condition and style as usual.
FAB BAG PICKS:
SkinYoga Post Workout Neem Purifier : Neem leaves are the best answer to all skin problems. The bitterness of neem will help you get rid of bacteria and various skin allergies. Regular use will help you free from unwanted body odor. This anti-inflammatory and medicinal body wash can be used regularly for post exercise shower. CLICK HERE to view the product
The Nature’s Co. Lavender Body Lotion : Calming moisturizer; Soothing skin tonic; Refreshing effect on the skin. Indulge in a soft, smooth sensuous encounter with the Lavender Body Lotion. Dry, sensitive and mature skin will greatly benefit from Lavender’s antimicrobial, anti inflammatory & skin regenerative properties. CLICK HERE to view the product
Just Herbs Shatpatri Wild Indian Rose Gentle Body Wash: Shatpatri or the rose with hundred petalshas its special place in Ayurveda. A great emotional stimulant, mind pacifier and skin nurturer this flower has been also been used to promote physical and emotional love for centuries. Wildly cultivated throughout India and also in the French city of Grasse-the perfume capital of the world, its fragrance is clear and sweet with light notes of honey. This mild and gentle sulphate and paraben free formula seeks to transform your bath into an indulgent rejuvenating ritual. CLICK HERE to view the product