Published on September 12th, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
The big head of bouncy hair aka shampoo commercials may not be as far away as you think. All you need to do is condition right!
Love the gorgeous tresses most red-carpet divas sport? Buying that conditioner should make your look as beautiful as her mane, shouldn’t it? The wrong conditioner, and incorrect usage may actually damage your hair instead.
Conditions, do apply!
Choose a conditioner that’s rich in oils and moisturising agents. Read the label to see its composition. If there are too many names on the list that you can’t understand, worse even pronounce then leave it be at the beauty store only. Also, choose a conditioner that is for “your” hair type, not your idol’s. Secret tip: Keep a couple of conditioners at hand and rotate them every 2-3 days – this way you get the best of conditioning and lesser product build-up.
Wash, and Condition, Right:
1. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo (strong ones will dry out your hair and make it brittle) and the coolest water you can stand. Hot water strips hair of its natural oils.
2. Divide your hair roughly into two or four sections. Squeeze a dollop of conditioner, depending on the length of your hair, onto your palm. Apply it evenly over, section by section, from mid-length to tip.
3. Now take a towel, dip into hot water and squeeze it dry. Wrap it around your head for five minutes. The hot towel opens up the hair cuticle and lets the conditioner work itself deeper for better results.
4. Remove the towel and rinse hair with cold water. The cold water will close the cuticle and make your hair appear shiner, frizz-free and smoother.
Falsehoods and a few truths:
1. If you think that rubbing the hair strands against each other will spread the shampoo or conditioner, you think wrong. This will only make your hair rough. Apply conditioner evenly by running your fingers through the strands. This will open all the knots even before you start combing it. For hair prone to tangling, run a wide toothed comb after you apply conditioner. This will cut out the frizz.
2. Just because you have dry or damaged hair don’t use ‘too-much’ conditioner. Use only what is necessary. Too much of conditioner will make your hair limp!
3. Pollution, wrong eating habits, smoking, and use of harmful chemicals can deteriorate the quality of your hair. So every time you shampoo hair, ensure you also condition – they kind of go hand-in-hand.
4. It’s not necessary to buy the same brand of shampoo and conditioner. While you should buy products that suit your hair type, you can opt for different brands or ranges for both…
FAB BAG PICKS:
Sebastian Volupt Spray : Raise hair into spectacular stage-filling styles with the cushion particle technology that best combines full-on volume and sensual softness. For extra volume, use with Volupt shampoo and conditioner. CLICK HERE to view the product
Just Herbs Kumuda Indian White Water Lily Silicon Free Conditioner : While regular conditioners may provide an instant smoothening effect, they may also cause silicones (commonly used conditioning agents in mass market products) to get deposited in your hair making it greasy or heavy. CLICK HERE to view the product
Kaya Anti-Dandruff Lotion : “With OT Complex. Kaya Anti-Dandruff lotion has a blend of actives to effectively control dandruff and to reduce the related itching and scaling. This lotion is also fortified to nourish and condition the scalp.” CLICK HERE to view the product