Published on September 18th, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
Get That Gorgeous Head Of Hair!
BEFORE a hair wash
Oil: There’s plenty to choose from. From the good old coconut oil to grandma’s tale of mustard oil in the hair, from ayurvedic preparations to the more exotic olive, almond and jojoba… Here’s your essential oil guide:
- Coconut: Experts claim it is a fabulous conditioner.
- Amla: The age-old ayurvedic concept of amla, reetha and shikakai being manna for your hair may just be true.
- Almond: Full of protein, this oil is supposed to stimulate hair growth.
- Herbal: Ranging from olive to jojoba to rosemary to bhringraj, these oils claim to tackle all your hair problems.
- Specialised: Targeting hair loss, dandruff or stimulating hair growth – choose whichever addresses your concerns the best
Hair masks: Essentially, hair masks are deep-conditioning conditioners to be applied before shampoo. Most of these pre-wash conditioners work like oils, nourishing hair from the root. Sneaky trick: If out of hair mask, use your normal daily conditioner before shampooing. Apply it liberally over hair and scalp and wrap head in a hot towel for 15-20 minutes. Shampoo and skip the conditioner.
DURING a hair wash
Shampoo (and of course conditioner!): Walk down any haircare aisle in a department or beauty store and you’ll find racks groaning with shampoos and their conditioner counterparts. Choose a range that suits YOU, not your idol, friend or mother! From shampoo and conditioner sets that control dandruff, hair loss, protect black/coloured hair to gentle everyday shampoos to deeply nourishing ones, from shampoos that add shine to those which add volume… Whew! Endless.
AFTER a hair wash
Now comes the chaos. From styling gels to sprays, detanglers to leave-in, anti-frizz to high-gloss; choose your poison depending on your hair type and look, when in doubt, ask your stylist for recommendations! Here, we have divided hair products according to texture.
- Leave-in conditioners: Leave-in conditioners, applied post shampoo and conditioner, are available as creams and sprays to help hydrate and nourish hair.
- Anti-frizz products: These products act solely on curly or wavy hair silicone-based and are designed to smooth rough hair shafts.
- Styling products: Styling products are used more to create a look than to add to your hair’s health.
- Styling spray: For light hold, and used after setting your hair for shine and flyaway control
- Styling mousse: Mousse is much lighter than other styling products and doesn’t “crispen” hair the way gels do
- Styling gels: Choose according the ‘hold’ you want.
- Styling wax or pomades: Great for short, dry hair. Pomade is a wax-like substance that may feel greasy in the container and on the hands, but once worked into.
FAB BAG PICKS:
Celebrate the trend of gorgeous tresses with any of these hair wonders!
Sebastian Volupt Conditioner : Boost your volume without weighing down your hair with the Sebastian Professional Volupt Conditioner (250ml). Unlike other volume enhancing hair care ranges, Volupt leaves hair feeling up to 45% softer without compromising on body. The rich conditioner smoothes down frizz and flyaways, whilst providing maximum volume for a sleek yet naturally thicker, bigger look. CLICK HERE to view the product
Just Herbs Kumuda Indian White Water Lily Silicon Free Conditioner : While regular conditioners may provide an instant smoothening effect, they may also cause silicones (commonly used conditioning agents in mass market products) to get deposited in your hair making it greasy or heavy. CLICK HERE to view the product
RUSK Being Undressed Gloss : The ultimate cross-dresser, this versatile hair styling product is a pomade, a wax and a conditioning treatment all in one that leaves hair feeling miraculously product free. Add incredible shine and texture, while giving hair humidity-resistant hold and UV protection, with RUSK Being Undressed’ Gloss. Adds shine and texture while providing humidity-resistant hold and UV protection. Leaves hair feeling like there’s nothing on it! CLICK HERE to view the product