Published on September 27th, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
Colour Your Mane
When you think ‘blond,’ your first thought is often pale skin, light eyes and aquiline features. Forget it, you can be dusky-skinned and have blonde streaks, fair and have blue tresses. Hair colour has matured from being a punk-teenager fad to a trend all on its own. However, as tempted as you might be to switch from your natural brown to bright pink (and we’re not saying you shouldn’t), there are certain factors you may want to examine before you dash out to the salon, or buy a box of hair colour off the shelf.
- Determining your skin tone is the first step to choosing your hair colour. Skin tones range from cool to warm, which basically means fair and dusky. However, you also need to check out your undertones, such as is your skin ruddy or do your cheeks have a pink hue.
- For you cool ones, the best hair colour shades are shiny, raven-wing blacks, cool ash browns, cool blondes in shades ranging from mink to platinum and icy white (though Indian skin tones don’t really show up too well with these shades). Highlights should be wheat, honey, taupe or ash shades. Stick to neutral, ash and beige bases when choosing a hair colour.
- If you’re looking for a little excitement, go for lipstick reds, burgundies, and purples. Naturally cool-toned people should avoid gold, yellow, red and bronze tones in hair colour. These warm tones have a tendency to make you look sallow and drawn.
- For those of a warmer skin tone, you’ll find dark, warm browns, chestnuts, rich golden browns and auburn, warm gold and red highlights, and golden blond shades look best on you. Any colour that has a red-orange or a gold base will look great on you. Highlighting is a great way to add warm tones to your hair. Highlight with golden blond and copper streaks. Avoid blue, violet, and ash based based hair colours which will “wash out” your skin colour.
- Tip: If your hair is damaged, go for a shade of brown. Browns reflect well in light and minimise breakage. Avoid red for the same reason. If your hair is dry or damaged, it will have a hard time holding on to red colour molecules.
- If you’re at a salon, hold samples them up to your face and see how they go. Ask your hairdresser for an opinion. If you’re doing a home-job, apply a dab on your wrist. It’s like buying a lipstick, but much harder to wipe off.
Wear it well
Give your wardrobe a thought. Will the colours you generally wear clash with the hair colour? If you wear a lot of reds, purples, blues and greens, you’re better off sticking to mahogany, caramel or chocolate. Even jet-black hair would set off the bright colours you wear. If you’re into pastels, golden or red streaks would be good. If you like deep wine-colours, black and navy blue, go for bronze or chestnut.
All said and done, go by instinct when it comes to your hair colour. It’s one of the most one fun style experiments to try out and (hopefully), will make you feel great at the end.
FAB BAG PICKS
Roots Anti-Bacteria All-Purpose Brush: The Roots anti-bacterial all-purpose brush does not allow bacteria to thrive on it, keeping your hair clean and fresh after every stroke. Unlike other brushes, Roots anti-bacterial All-Purpose brush does not transfer any form of bacteria on to your hair or vice versa. Its bristle-tips are softened and rounded so as to massage your scalp stimulating the natural hair oils and also prevents scraping the hair cuticles. This hygienic brush comes in the latest ‘tortoise shell’ design that makes it stand out and look chic. Available in 3 types-Cushion, Round and All-purpose. CLICK HERE to view the product
RUSK Being Undressed Gloss: The ultimate cross-dresser, this versatile hair styling product is a pomade, a wax and a conditioning treatment all in one that leaves hair feeling miraculously product free. Add incredible shine and texture, while giving hair humidity-resistant hold and UV protection, with RUSK Being Undressed’ Gloss. Adds shine and texture while providing humidity-resistant hold and UV protection. Leaves hair feeling like there’s nothing on it! CLICK HERE to view the product
Kaya Anti-Dandruff Lotion: Kaya Anti-Dandruff lotion has a blend of actives to effectively control dandruff and to reduce the related itching and scaling. This lotion is also fortified to nourish and condition the scalp. CLICK HERE to view the product