Published on October 6th, 2017 | by Neharika Sabharwal
Kitchen Secret: Amla
Amla’s USP is that it’s a superhero for any health and beauty rescue. The perfect example of nature providing the complete solution for hair care and skin care.
Remember that 1980’s old hair oil commercial jingle, “ghane mulayam kale baal… khile khile matwale baal”? The nostalgia of a simpler beauty era! Then cosmetics were packed with herbal goodness instead of savvy proteins and complex formulas. Not that we’re complaining of beauty evolution, we just sympathise with those natural fruits and berries that have now been shunned from the limelight. One such fruit is the Amla. Around for almost 500 years; the Amla, aka Amalaki or the Indian gooseberry has been the center of our Ayurveda therapy and has been known to cure anything from bad breath to respiratory disorders. When it comes to taste, it’s not really a typical fruit. Your taste buds aren’t likely to lust after it or jump for joy after biting into one.
One for Health
- You can drink all the orange juice you want, or swallow a ton of supplements, but nothing beats Amla as a potent source of Vitamin C. It’s also the easiest to assimilate by the body. Now,
- Vitamin C is an excellent anti-oxidant that fights free radicals responsible for ageing and cell degeneration. In simple jargon, Amla eventually gives you glowing skin and delays wrinkles or loosening of skin.
Use it, or lose it!
- If you’re not a big fan of Amla’s salty taste, use it in powder form for a facial treatment. Combine with water, aloe vera gel or olive oil to get a thick consistency. Apply for 15-20 minutes and rinse. It’s a great home remedy to take care of those blemishes and rejuvenate the skin.
- Boil a few pieces of Amla with ginger root in water. Strain the liquid and add a little honey for an herbal concoction that’s amazing for dry skin – just dip some cotton and swab all over. In addition, you can also soak the fruit in a cup of water overnight and wash your face with the solution to soak the benefits.
Rapunzel’s trade secret
- Rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins, this berry is a superfood for the hair and scalp. Eating it increases blood flow which stimulates hair growth, prevents hair loss, reduces breakage and prevents early graying. The antiseptic and astringent properties avert infections and tone the scalp. It is also known to enrich hair color. No wonder we feel amla was probably Rapunzel’s hair conditioner.
- For a deep treatment using amla, mix the powder form with warm water and stir till you have a thin paste. Massage this into your hair and leave it on for an hour for the nutrients to soak into your tresses and scalp. Finally wash and shampoo as usual. With prolonged use, your hair should become healthier with a more vibrant color.
- Applying small amounts of amla oil or boiling dry pieces of amla in coconut oil for a therapeutic massage will also protect, nourish and help add sheen to your tresses.
FAB BAG PICKS
Just Herbs Shatpatri Wild Indian Rose Gentle Body Wash: Shatpatri or the rose with hundred petalshas its special place in Ayurveda. A great emotional stimulant, mind pacifier and skin nurturer this flower has been also been used to promote physical and emotional love for centuries. Wildly cultivated throughout India and also in the French city of Grasse-the perfume capital of the world, its fragrance is clear and sweet with light notes of honey. This mild and gentle sulphate and paraben free formula seeks to transform your bath into an indulgent rejuvenating ritual. CLICK HERE to view the product
Natural Bath & Body Dead Sea Salt Scrub: Extracted from the densely therapeutic waters of the Dead Sea, the salts in this indulgent scrub are bursting with health-enhancing minerals and nutrients. Soaked in a pool of cold-pressed Almond oil, virgin olive oil, juniper berry and other essential oils, these soothing salts gently buff away dead cells and cleanse the skin, leaving it glowing and visibly smooth. A natural astringent, Juniper Berry oil helps to relieve stress and promotes blood circulation. Additionally, it’s bracing aroma and anti-inflammatory properties leave you feeling absolutely detoxified and invigorated. CLICK HERE to view the product
Ananda Spa Gentle Cleansing Cream For Oily Skin: Nourishes and protects as it gently removes oil and pollution build up on the skin, its antiseptic nature balances the skin removing the blemish causing bacteria which linger on the surface of the skin. Basil helps to stimulate, increase regeneration and revitalise the skin. CLICK HERE to view the product